The Bishops' House was originally built on the corner of 2nd and Idaho Street, but was later moved to its present site at Old Penitentiary Road. The Friends of The Bishops' House non-profit organization was formed in 1975 for the purpose of saving The Bishops' House from destruction.
The house was designed by architect James King and built in 1889. In 1899, architect John Tourtelotte designed a remodel of the house, transforming it into a grand Queen Anne style. Typical of the Victorian era, the home features the original hardwood floors and restored original woodwork. Antique furniture and elegant light fixtures create a graceful atmosphere, which is complimented with period wallpaper and window coverings.
Years of fundraising and donations resulted in the restoration of this graceful Victorian home. In 1977, the Idaho Historic Preservation Council (Now known as: Preservation Idaho) awarded The Bishops' House an Orchid Award for "Restoration of a Building for Productive Use," and The Friends of The Bishops' House is still committed to uphold this distinction.
The Bishops' House grounds are available to the public for event rentals throughout the year. The revenue is used for administration services, operating and maintenance expenses. Every event helps to restore and sustain this historic home, a part of our Boise heritage and Idaho history.